October 24, 2016
Welcome to the eighth year of the Southeastern Region’s Today a Reader – Tomorrow a Leader Book Club!
Participation of all of our children ages 2-19 is encouraged. The topics of this year’s offerings incorporate our regional theme “Embracing our Past, Enriching our Present, Empowering our Future”. The book selections will be on the website the week of November 7, 2016. The book selections provide an exceptional opportunity for our children to explore books that might not be recommended in their educational setting. Let us encourage their participation.
Each book has been lovingly selected by a team of Moms and all are age appropriate, supportive of the National and Regional initiatives, culturally significant, and most of all fun to read. Through the magic of literacy your children will explore the political process, learn new traditions, and rediscover the power of our people. Again this year, we have included some AR books that will satisfy the requirements of your child’s AR program at school.
Thank you for your continued support of Today a Reader – Tomorrow a Leader Book Club – together, we continue to promote READING is FUN and SHARING is SPECTACULAR with our children.
If you have any questions or need additional information about the book club, please feel free to contact your Regional Program Chair, Raye White at jnjserpcRaye@gmail.com.
Book Club Guidelines
The region has selected an array of wonderful books designed to entertain, enlighten and teach our Jack and Jill youth and teens about values such as advocacy, family, honesty, thoughtfulness, and tolerance.
It is our hope that these beautiful books encourage critical thinking, dialogue, and most importantly, leave an indelible imprint on the hearts and minds of all our children.
Book Club Guidelines
1. For pre-schoolers, reading aloud and discussing books together will help children develop a love of reading and important language and literacy skills.
2. Children may join one of the Book Club age groups.
Due to varying reading levels, the age group book selection is at the sole discretion of each Mother.
3. AR books are indicated by an asterisk (*). Please be sure to use these books for school AR requirements.
4. Book Club Registration
Online registration must be completed no later than November 21th, 2016.
5. PLEASE double check the spelling of your child’s name as Jack and Jill recognition certificates will be generated from this information.
6. Children are encouraged to read at least ONE book selection per month – or 7 books during the book club program year, November through April. Teens will read at least one book every two months.
7. Book discussions are at the heart of the Book Club! Depending upon the size of the age groups in your local chapter, we strongly encourage you to consider hosting at least one Book Club discussion during the program year.
8. Book discussions can range from 20 minutes to an hour and it’s a good idea to have some questions prepared ahead of time. A related activity, no matter how simple, would be wonderful for the children!
9. Today A Reader – Tomorrow A Leader Book Club participants will receive a certificate from the Southeastern Region.
10. Member feedback is always welcome!
We believe book discussions are at the heart of a great book club. We encourage all Age Group Chairs and interested Mothers to take the lead at the chapter level. Depending on the size of the age groups in your chapter, please consider hosting a book club discussion during the program year.
Book discussions can range from 20 minutes to an hour, depending on the age group. It’s a good idea to have a few questions prepared ahead of time and possibly a simple, activity related to the book.
Thank your for your continued support of the Book Club!
Thank you for participating in the 2016-2017 Southeastern Region’s Today A Reader –Tomorrow A Leader Book Club.
We hope both you and your children enjoyed the books selected for this year. It is our hope that these beautiful books encourage a life-long love of reading and leave an indelible imprint on the hearts and minds of your children.
If you would like to recommend a book to be included in next year’s book club selection, kindly forward your book recommendation to your Regional Program Chair, Raye White jnjserpcRaye@gmail.com.